[poppler] Fontconfig patch

Stefan Kleine Stegemann stefankst at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 19:37:16 EST 2005

Hi,

On 7/15/05, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> Ok guys, this patch is both somewhat big and important so have a careful look
> at it.
>
> Rationale of the patch, it has been discussed in the list that using hardcoded
> fonts as xpdf does is a bad thing. This patches tries to address that
> problems.

Hmm, I think I will have a problem with PopplerKit
(http://homepage.gna.org/gsimageapps). PopplerKit is a Cocoa/GNUstep
framwork based on poppler. Your patch looks like as it is impossible
now to define font subsititutions explicitly (this is what PopplerKit
does). For GNUstep on Linux/BSD Systems won't be a big problem since
fontconfig should be installed on amlost every system today. But it is
a problem on OSX. Normally, people don't have fontconfig installed and
they almost won't install it just to use a PDF reader that is based on
PopplerKit. I tried compile fontconfig statically agains the
PopplerKit framework but the problem is that fontconfig uses hardcoded
paths to find it's fonts.conf init file. So if there is no possiblity
to tell fontconfig what fonts.conf to use, I will have a big problem.

So, does anyone know how to tell fontconfig what fonts.conf file to
use at runtime?
Can you probably preserver the current behavior for the poppler
library and just ADD the new stuff without removing the old? From my
point of view, this would be the best solution.

thanks
Stefan Kleine Stegemann

--
Stefan Kleine Stegemann