[poppler] Annoying question: SVG output from Poppler?

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Jun 3 15:10:42 PDT 2005

On Thu, 19 May 2005 10:43:13 -0400, Marcus Silva wrote:
>                      It has been suggested in the Cairo mailing list
> that an SVG backend be written, and apparently a PDF backend is in the
> works, but some have suggested that generation of SVG code would be
> better suited for applications as opposed to a general backend (I am
> not sure why).

I think that an SVG backend will inevitably appear for cairo. It's
just too darn useful to not exist.

And then, as you suggest, getting SVG output from poppler should be
quite trivial.

I think the arguments for application-generated SVG also apply (and
probable more so) to application-generated PDF. There are any number
of things a user may want to spit out in SVG/PDF files that cairo will
never support. So cairo won't be the only thing that generates SVG and
PDF. That's fine, but it doesn't mean that cairo isn't useful for
generating SVG and PDF.

>   What do the Poppler developers think about this?

Oops. I've never committed any code to poppler, so I guess I wasn't
actually being addressed here. ;-)

-Carl