[poppler] Poppler metadata expansion

Emil Soleyman-Zomalan emil at soleyman.com
Mon May 9 08:36:18 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 07:15 -0400, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> At 01:47 AM 5/9/2005, Emil Soleyman-Zomalan wrote:
> >1. Allow applications like Evince to retrieve the creator, producer,
> >    creation_date, modified_date, and optimized fields from a PDF
> >    document.
>
>          PLEASE don't use the term "optimized" for the linearization of a
> PDF - they are NOT the same thing.  (in fact, in most cases linearization
> UNOPTIMIZES a PDF, making it larger by duplicating/replicating data).
>
>          The correct term is either linearized (the technical term) or
> "Fast Web View Enabled" (the end user term).
>
>          Is there a reason to treat dates as strings and not as actual
> dates?  So that they can then be reformatted using the user's locale?

Hi Leonard,

I picked up the optimized term, erroneously it seems, from the source
code of other applications. I will make the change so that optimized
reads linearized from now on.

The reason for treating dates as strings was to do the actual
reformatting in the application itself (Evince) so that we could provide
that function to other areas that could possibly require it. It's not
the best reasoning in the world, so I am open to other suggestions.

Thank you for taking the time to review the patch.

--
Emil Soleyman-Zomalan <emil at soleyman.com>