[poppler] Making the poppler utils operate over stdin/stdout

Daniel Gryniewicz dang at gentoo.org
Thu Aug 3 13:20:21 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 08:49 -0400, Dominic Lachowicz wrote:
> Hi Albert,
>
> > Sorry for the late reply, if i understand correctly these patches make it
> > impossible to work on a file called "-", right?
>
> That's correct.
>
> > Wouldn't it be better to add a -stdin switch or something similar?
>
> I personally don't really care. I followed what the other programs did
> with stdin (see, for example, pdftotext.cc:199). I'm happy to change
> these. I was just striving for consistency with the other utils.

After some quick testing, it looks like almost nothing will operate on a
file named "-".  If the file is named , say, "-a", you can generally do
"command -- -a", but "command -- -" still generally operates on stdin.
I'd say go with the flow, and make users rename files named "-",
personally, rather than breaking standards with the majority of GNU CLI
apps.

Daniel