[poppler] Form support summer of code as of 23/07/2006 port to Qt4 backend

Leonard Rosenthol leonardr at pdfsages.com
Thu Aug 10 17:32:08 PDT 2006

At 06:42 PM 8/10/2006, Julien Rebetez wrote:
> >          Obviously, you'll need the font information for rendering/editing.
>I think it isn't the job of the client(Evince, oKular) application to
>render the modified fields.

         No, it's not - I agree.

         However, it IS the job of the client to use the appropriate
font/size/color, etc. information during the actual editing process.

>My current approach is to implement very
>quick field content rendering in Evince (without bothering too much
>about how it looks) and then ask poppler to re-render the document with
>the exact font/color properties of the field.

         Which is definitely a good first-pass solution - and the
.gifs look good (thanks for making them and posting).

>Anyway, if we can take content's color and font information into account
>in the client application without loosing performances, it would be
>better -- it needs to be investigated.

         Yes, but certainly after other "required" things are done...

> >          On a totally different note - I don't see any support for
> > generation of Appearances (/AP) for the fields after they have been
> > modified (or at a minimum, removal of existing ones and setting of
> > /NeedsAppearances).
>/NeedsAppearances will be set in an upcoming patch.

         You also need to clear the old appearances - don't forget about that!!

>Currently, I use Annot::generateAppearance to draw text and it's working
>quite good with ascii text (since content isn't stored in UTF atm,
>haven't tested further),

         Looks pretty good from here...

Leonard