[poppler] evas support for poppler

Vincent Torri vtorri at univ-evry.fr
Tue Feb 14 01:02:50 PST 2006

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Richard How wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 07:54:20 +0000 (UTC)
> Vincent Torri <vtorri at univ-evry.fr> wrote:
>
> > I wanted to write a pdf viewer for it (my aim is to add also ps and maybe
> > dvi read features to it). I really think that I'll put the code somewhere
> > else, it will be easier for me (and other guys) to maintain it.
>
> Hi Vincent,
> If you are thinking of writing a PDF viewer have you considered writing
> one for embedded and handheld users? The only app that produces
> good output is Evince/Poppler, great quality but very, very slow. It is
> difficult to cross-compile for the arm processor as well. A lightweight
> frontend using GTK or QT for poppler would well received :)

i have not. But it should not be a problem with evas. Evas has an
optimized engine for embedding systems. Enlightenment 0.17, a window
manager based on evas runs on embedding (in a specific version). Evas is
also very fast on slow computers which have no modern graphic card.

I don't want to work on a gtk+ or qt front end on my free time. I'm
already involved in other projects. They take almost all my time already.

Just a remark, since gdk uses cairo for the rendering, it is slow as hell.
and before that, gdk was not very fast too.

Vincent Torri