[poppler] GPL & code commits (was Alternate Patch for CharCodeToUnicode.cc)

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Mon Jan 23 10:47:48 PST 2006

Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> [apology in advance for GPL discussion]

No, that's ok, but at this point I think we've covered the subject.  As
has been pointed out, Derek is welcome to incorporate poppler patches
into the GPL version of xpdf.  However, just as any 3rd party
distributor of xpdf (such as Red Hat, for example) can not provide xpdf
under a different license, Derek can not relicense those patches either.
  All this is well known to the poppler contributors and to Derek, I'm sure.

Having said that, we are not out to compete with Derek.  The purpose of
poppler is to provide the xpdf rendering functionality as an easy to use
library, and change it to better leverage the platform libraries, where
possible.  If anything this increases exposure and recognition of the
xpdf code base - we even have a Glyph & Cog plug at the bottom of the
README.

Kristian