[poppler] Characters with accents not correctly handled

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Aug 21 13:59:46 PDT 2007

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 22:30:30 +0200, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> Actually i disagree, if you have æ do you want to get it expanded to ae too?

Of course not.

And I think you'll find that's a rather distinct case. For all uses
that I am aware of, æ is a single letter in the alphabet. Whereas I'm
not aware of any alphabet that has promoted ligatures such as the
following to the status of a letter: ff, fi, fl, ffi, ffl, LJ. In fact, for
each of those the Unicode specification explicitly describes
approximate equivalents, such as

	ff
	U+FB00 LATIN SMALL LIGATURE FF
	Approximate equivalents:
	 • U+0066 LATIN SMALL LETTER F U+0066 LATIN SMALL LETTER F

No approximation is offered at all for æ, for example.

> If not why you want it with the ff ligature?

I first ran into this problem when attempting use evince to
copy-and-paste the word "fill" out of a PDF file containing a
description of the PostScript language. My PostScript interpreter was
quite unhappy to see the word "fill" instead of the expected "fill",
and acroread correctly performed the copy of "fill" to the string
"fill" to be pasted.

-Carl