[poppler] Slow rendering of file with Type3 fonts

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Tue Dec 18 11:38:00 PST 2007

On Wednesday 19 December 2007 04:39:39 am Jiri Klement wrote:
> Hi,
G'day Jiri,

> Rendering of file http://home.zcu.cz/~jklement/spolehlivost.pdf is
> very slow using poppler with splash backend. (current version from
> CVS). It takes about 6 seconds to render one page. I've profiled
> poppler using valgrind and kcallgrind  to find out what takes so long.
Do you mean with "current version from git"?

I tried it, and I'm not seeing 6 seconds. It does take a few seconds.
I haven't actually investigated it properly, but I do see a few of these:
Error: Bad bounding box in Type 3 glyph

> It seems that poppler first convert Type3 fonts to bitmaps and then
> print them to the screen. But bounding box for fonts in this file is
> 1000x1000 which makes drawing font bitmaps very slow. KCallGrind shows
> that poppler spends 95% of time in Splash::fillGlyph2. Why don't
> poppler prints Type3 fonts directly?
Any chance of a patch?

> Another suspicious thing is number of calls of SplashClip::test. Only
> partialy clipped characters should call SplashClip::test, but it seem
> that they're incorrectly detected. I think rect of glyph in glyph
> space is compared with SplashClip in world space. Poppler spends 25%
> of time in method SplashClip::test.
Again, any chance of a patch?

Thanks for the investigative work.

Brad