[poppler] Poppler now in git

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Mon Sep 17 08:32:49 PDT 2007

Hi all,

As previously discussed, I've moved the poppler and poppler-data cvs
modules to git.  To check out these modules do

  git clone ssh://git.freedesktop.org/git/poppler/poppler

and

  git clone ssh://git.freedesktop.org/git/poppler/poppler-data

The basic cvs workflow translates as follows:

  cvs update becomes git pull

  cvs commit is equivalent to git commit -a; git push

With git, committing just commits the changes in your local repo, and
they aren't visible to the world until you push them with git push.
It's possible to do a series of commits before pushing.  Also, as a
rule of thumb, don't do a git pull when you have uncommitted changes
in your working copy.  It works, but it's a bit confusing compared to
cvs, and in general, it's better to just finish the work and commit
before pulling new changes.  Of course, this is barely scratching the
surface, but there's plenty of tutorials available online.  I'm in
#poppler on irc.freenode.org to help out with the transition, or ask
on this list.  A cool thing to try out once you get a clone of the
poppler repository is gitk, which shows you the contents of the repo
graphically.

Commit messages should be one header line, and then (optionally) a
blank line followed by as much text as you need to describe the
commit.  Keep the line lengths under 80 characters. Unlike the
ChangeLog entries, there is no need to list the files affected by the
commit, git records this.  So, for example:

-----
Pass in -1 to displaySlice so that it sets up the slice size for us.

This fixes the case of the wrong values being used when the pdf
was rotated on its side. Fixes #11913.

-----

would be a fine comment.  The ChangeLog is now no longer used and I
removed it in the most recent commit.  We may want to set up a dist
hook to dump the history from git as a ChangeLog style document we can
include in the tar ball.

cheers,
Kristian