[poppler] Color Management

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Thu Aug 7 19:28:22 PDT 2008

On Thursday 07 August 2008 06:58:13 pm Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> Correct.  You'd need to make MAJOR changes to the rendering
> architecture of Poppler to do proper color management - especially
> where transparency is involved.
>
> But it would be a very good thing...
>
> Leonard

Isn't the use of ICC Profiles in PDFs an integral part of the PDF
specification?

If I have an image with a BetaRGB profile embedded into the image (this has a
wide gamut and unless color managed will not be displayed correctly) as part
of a PDF how does poppler transform that image to the monitor color space?

I notice in GfxState that there is logic for deciding if an object uses an ICC
based color space (IE. virtual GfxColorSpaceMode getMode() { return
csICCBased; }).   If there is no color management support what is being done
with this information?

Yes it would be a very good thing if poppler had proper color management.  In
fact I don't understand how any PDF library can bet by without it.   These
things are not that hard to do if they are done as part of the initial design
but are generally difficult to retro fit after the fact.

Ok what color space does poppler use for it's output when rendering to a
monitor (I don't mean RGB I mean what ICC profile describes the color space
used for this).  Maybe I can take care of this at the applcation level if
popple renders to a known color space.

Hal