[poppler] Color Management

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Aug 24 07:35:00 PDT 2008

A Divendres 22 Agost 2008, Hal V. Engel va escriure:
> [...]
> tables in the profiles to support this and that all blending must be either
> in device space or in CIE space and that the spec advises that CIE is
> prefered.
>
> Many of you are probably asking "Why should we give a rats behind about
> this?" The reason I am looking at this is that the printing community is in
> the process of converting from PostScript to PDF as the standard document
> type for printing for *nix systems.  Because of this they are in the
> process of writing a new pdftoraster filter for CUPS as well as putting
> together a PDF based "Common Printing Dialog" (this is a Google Summer of
> Code project).  I asked on the printing email lists about color management
> in the new printing workflow.  Specifcally did the new pdftoraster filter
> have CM support?  I didn't get an answer and so I found the code and had a
> look.  Guess what (most of you probably know this) it is using poppler and
> as a result it does not support color management.
>
> Printing is an important piece of the infastructure in general and
> particularly for anyone doing color critical work.  It is currently badly
> broken with respect to color managemnt and it appears that until poppler
> has CM support or another similar library with CM support becomes available
> it will remain broken.  So now you know what the story is and why this is
> important.
>
> I have color management expertise (I am the maintainer of LProf) and I have
> connections to the open source color management community where there are
> many others with CM expertise some of them with way more expertise than I
> have.  As a community we have been working with the printing community,
> Xorg and the DE's trying to get the missing CM components in place.
>
> There has been major progress with color management on monitors and we now
> have calibration and profiling software for these devices as well as
> support in XOrg (with more on the way) and work is underway to extend this
> to include better user tools in KDE and GNOME.  We also have good open
> source tools for profiling input devices like cameras and scanners and
> these profiles are now well supported by things like XSane, UFRAW and other
> software in this area.
>
> We also have high quality profiling software for output devices like
> printers. One of the major things that is missing is a viable color managed
> path for printing.  That is I can create very high quality profiles for my
> printers but using them with the existing printing tools is at best
> difficult even for someone who really understands CM and nearly imposible
> for a normal user.   If the CUPS pdftoraster filter had CM support much of
> the printing part of this would start falling in place and would become
> accessable to a much wider audiance.  So from the point of view of the CM
> community poppler is now a very important piece of software.

Woa that was long, eh ;-?

Summary from my side: I don't have knowledge and more important, i don't have
time to work on Color Management support for poppler, and i think noone else
of the people you can consider "poppler developers" has either, so if you
could drag someone from the CM community to work on poppler I would be more
than happy trying to help.

Albert