[poppler] pdftotext needs support for surrogates outside the BMP plane

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Jun 1 22:53:54 PDT 2008

Hi Koji,

On 02/06/2008, at 1:50 PM, Koji Otani wrote:

> From: Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org>
> Subject: Re: [poppler] pdftotext needs support for surrogates
> outside the BMP plane
> Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 17:28:11 +0200
>
> aacid> A Dijous 29 Maig 2008, Koji Otani va escriure:
> aacid> > Hi, All.
> aacid> >
> aacid> > I'd like to commit this patch to the trunk tree.
> aacid> > Should I register this to Bugzilla before doing it?
> aacid>
> aacid> No, but i'd like to confirm that "it works" before commiting
> it, i can see
> aacid> that your patch gives a different output but i don't have
> any font installed
> aacid> in my system that can "draw" the characters, what font are
> you using?
> aacid>
> aacid> Albert
> aacid>
>
> Output is a UTF-8 text file. I don't have fonts that can draw this
> text
> file too. I checked if it is correct with a hexdump application.
>
> This problem was reported by Dr. Ross Moore. He viewed it with Mac
> text editor. but I can't view it with my Mac text-editor.
>
>> Dr. Ross Moore
>  What font are you using?

I have several which can show these glyphs.

In TextEdit, the default font that is being used is "Unicode Symbols",
as shown in one of the attached screenshots.
Get it from      http://users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/ .

The other screenshot shows which fonts I have installed
that support Plane 1 characters.

Other possibilities are  Code200/Code2001/Code2002
e.g., from  http://www.code2000.net/code2001.htm .

The STIX fonts are scheduled for release soon:
     http://www.stixfonts.org/rel_sched.html
(The beta testing release is no longer available.)

Other free fonts are also available; e.g. Asana Math
   http://openfontlibrary.org/media/files/asyropoulos/219 .

Or if you are prepared to try Microsoft's  "Cambria Math",
then that should work.