[poppler] problem displaying pdf contains Chinese character

Yuanle Song sylecn at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 15:37:49 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 05:48:42PM -0400, James Cloos wrote:
> What locale are you in?  (The output of the shell command:

en_US.UTF-8.

> When I run:
>
> :; iconv -f cn-gb page1to10
>
> I get useful output.  (I use LANG='en_US.UTF-8'.)

OK, this also works for me.
Which implies the pdffonts use CN-GB encoding for Chinese font name
as you mentioned.
My guess on last post is: when poppler tries to find font through
fontconfig, will they handle CN-GB encoding font name well? Does
fontconfig also support CN-GB encoding for Chinese font name?
If fontconfig doesn't support CN-GB encoding, it will report no such
font to poppler!
How can I find whether font name encoding not being utf8 cause my
problem or not?

> What do you get from these commands:
>
> :; fc-list 宋体 family familylang file
> :; fc-list 黑体 family familylang file
> :; fc-list 仿宋_GB2312 family familylang file
> :; fc-list 楷体_GB2312 family familylang file
As I said I already have them, according to fc-list.

> :; fc-list 仿宋 family familylang file
> :; fc-list 楷体 family familylang file
These two output nothing, I don't have them.

> The first two work for me, the latter four do not.  Which is expected,
> since I do not have FangSong or KaiTi.  However, if I try those with
> LANG set to zh_CN.UTF-8 I do get usable fonts for each possibility.
>
> I suspect the pdf ought to render correctly for me for the parts which
> use 宋体 or 黑体.  The rest of the file also ought to work if LANG is
> set to zh_CN.UTF-8.

I can't get usable fonts by just setting LANG env variable. But that's
another problem, because the pdf file doesn't use the last two fonts
according to both acrobat and pdffonts tool.

Please tell me if there is other ways I can get more debug output or log.

--
Thanks,
Yuanle