[poppler] xpdf-poppler

Petr Gajdos pgajdos at novell.com
Thu Apr 23 03:20:31 PDT 2009

Hi,

I tried to switch from xpdf's own backend to poppler thanks genstef

   http://gentooexperimental.org/~genstef/dist/

Unfortunately, the result is deficient rendering fonts. The difference become
more obvious when you zoom out the document. I went trough patches we had
pointing into xpdf's Splash  and I found no-hinting.patch. It helps a lot, see
difference.jpg (100% zoom in xpdf).

But the content of this patch basically says that both branches of #ifdef do
the same, so it sounds more like workaround than like a solution.

Unfortunately I don't understand xpdf/poppler/splash well so far, therefore I
am asking for help with this here. What's the better solution?

Petr