[poppler] Cairo Backend for Qt Wrapper

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Jun 15 14:19:41 PDT 2009

A Dilluns, 15 de juny de 2009, Paul Gideon Dann va escriure:
> On Thursday 11 June 2009 20:07:11 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > These patches are not complete and need some adjustments; although, I
> > > have good version of it locally for some time already, so in case
> > > Albert wants, I can merge those.
> >
> > As i already said i don't see a real need for it and sadly politics will
> > kick in an get us in a discussion i don't want to be in, so let's just
> > put them on hold for the time being.
>
> Well, the need is simply that many people (myself included) find it
> difficult to read e-books in Okular because of the lack of subpixel font
> rendering.

You still have to show me a PDF that has better font rendering in Cairo than
in Splash (not that i say it is not better/worse, but you failed to provide
evidence)

> Of course there *is* a political aspect to linking a Qt interface to a
> Cairo backend, but then there's a legal aspect to including the bytecode
> interpreter in FreeType, and that doesn't prevent them from making it an
> option.  I'm not saying the Cairo backend for the Qt wrapper should
> necessarily be available by default, just that it should be an option.
> (You'll notice that it can already be easily switched on and off.)
>
> If it were merged, I would expect most distros to ship with it disabled
> (just like the FreeType example), but then at least people like me that
> compile "lcd" versions of Xft and Cairo can have subpixel rendering if we
> want...

No, most distros would compile it enabled because Cairo is cool and then i
would have a horde of Qt purists/trolls shouting me because now they have to
install the Cairo shit to view PDF, and sincerely, i prefer you (1 person) to
all Qt purists/trolls shouting at me.

Albert