[poppler] Testing color management functionality

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Wed May 13 11:28:15 PDT 2009

Now that it looks like the color management support will be released with
version 0.12 I decided to do some more testing.  I did this testing using a
patched version of the Qt4 demo viewer (the same patch set I sent to the email
list on Monday) using the altona pdf test suite
http://www.eci.org/doku.php?id=en:downloads.  This test suite has tests for
many things but I was only interested in those that were related to color
rendering.

The most significant issues are with the following test elements:

#26 "Duotone and Spot Color"  Poppler fails the spot color test but appears to
work for the doutone test.

#27 "Overprinting spot color and process color black"  Only the overprinted
color is displayed.

#28 "Overprinting process colors only"  Only the overprinted color is
displayed.

#34 through #38 These are renderings involving different source color spaces
and/or different rendering intents.  Currently the color management code in
poppler does not handle rendering intents and this shows up in tests #35
through #38.  But it also appears that CM is not functioning at all for vector
elements (test #34).

The altone test suite appears to be comprehensive and is a harsh test of any
PDF rendering engine but it should help to find and correct rendering issues
since each test element only tests a specific well documented feature.

Not all of the above issues are specifically color management problems.  #34
through #38 are definitely color management issues and #26 (spot color) may
also be a color management issue.  #27 and #28 may be transparency issues but
may also be impacted by color management.

I think one goal for v 0.12 should be for poppler to be able to pass all (or
maybe most) of the above tests.

Hal

PS: Does anyone have a time frame for when my patches or derivatives of those
patches will be applied to git?