[poppler] PDF editing operations

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue May 19 14:57:04 PDT 2009

A Dimarts, 19 de maig de 2009, Shawn Rutledge va escriure:
> Is there any plan to support some basic editing operations, some of
> which pdftk can do, like rearranging page order, renumbering pages,
> editing metadata or OCR text inside the PDF?

No from my side, though page reordering and metadata edition should be quite
easy to achieve.

With page renumbering you mean saying page 4 is really page 14? That should be
"doable" too.

OCR is something you do in a upper layer once poppler has rendered the page to
an image, not sure what you want poppler to offer here.

> I saw in the Qt4 binding
> documentation that it's possible to write an open PDF document as a
> new PDF, and there is a flag to preserve changes or not, but what are
> the changes that it supports?

Writting form contents.

> I'm scanning a bunch of old magazines that take up too much space in
> boxes (Radio-Electronics, Popular Science etc.) and was thinking of
> writing a program to recognize the name and date of each scan (look
> for the known magazine titles, month names etc. in the margins), and
> auto-number the pages (look for page numbers in known likely
> locations).  I confirmed that GOCR is good enough to extract page
> numbers from page images.

Lucky, i did not use GOCR but some other people i know did and told me the
results were quite bad, maybe it has improved lately though.

Albert