[poppler] too slow when opening PDF 1.5 files

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Wed Feb 24 06:20:35 PST 2010

Hi there,

I have just discovered that evince (and also xpdf) is much slower
dealing with PDF 1.5 documents than it is with the same document in PDF 1.4.

Here you have the test (generated both with XeLaTeX):

http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/Guidelines.pdf (PDF 1.4)
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~rahtz/Guidelines.pdf (PDF 1.5, much smaller)

Evince and pdfinfo show a huge difference when opening both versions and
acroread 9.3 and mupdf-r938 show almost an irrelevant one.

Tests bellow (correct me if I'm wrong). Guidelines.pdf is the PDF 1.5
document and TEI_Guidelines.pdf is the PDF 1.4 document.

I hope it helps,

Pablo

time evince TEI_Guidelines.pdf
real	0m15.900s