[poppler] Possible rendering bug

Max Nicosia ln73 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Thu Jul 29 23:59:53 PDT 2010

Hello there,

I am trying to improve the accessibility in Evince and I think I ran into a
poppler bug.

The pdf that I am using is this :

www.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/~mirco/papers/wosn10.pdf<http://www.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/%7Emirco/papers/wosn10.pdf>

As far as I know, poppler renders the text and provides the coordinates of
each char in the text. This is use by Orca to read the text and the
coordinates to draw a cursor.

Now in this pdf, the coordinates of the chars do not coincide with the text
being read by Orca. This only happens on the first few lines, where the
authors are, Orca reads the entire line while the coordinates go in columns.
Just to clarify, the coordinates correspond to the authors name then the
university, etc while the Orca gets from the buffer the names of the two
first authors in line.

If anyone could give me some feedback, it would be great help as fixing this
would mean that Evince can use Orca for pretty much all pdfs out there.

Cheers
Max