[poppler] [patch] fix qt3 detection bug

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at medozas.de
Fri Mar 12 16:28:10 PST 2010

On Friday 2010-03-12 22:20, Albert Astals Cid wrote:

>A Divendres, 12 de març de 2010, Jan Engelhardt va escriure:
>> Testing for x86_64 goes horribly wrong on other 64-bit CPUs,
>> and it is not even the right thing to do, since _directories_
>> need not have _anything_ to do with _architectures_.
>> Please, just don't do such junk.
>
>Please learn to speak respectuosly to people you don't know.

With all due respect, it is within my rights to be able to criticize
a project for their actions.

I recognize that some people are overly sensitive when someone finds a
bug in their precious contributions, but this has nothing to do with
lack of respect. If you perceive it as such, apologies — I'm coming from
a corner of software development where there's more list activity.

It does not change the fact however that the code simply was technically
incorrect. (I don't mean to imply that the patch is the holy grail,
either.) Every developer produces bugs in projects alike (with a
tendency to have them fixed before commit the more review there is, but
that's an implementation detail) and all we can really do in the end is
fix it, and move on.

In the end, discussions will be forgotten and what counts to the outside
is whether the issue at hand was fixed or not.