[poppler] Encoding of font names

suzuki toshiya mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Mon Aug 29 11:25:45 PDT 2011

Albert Astals Cid wrote:
>>> Any idea what is the proper manipulation one has to do over BaseFont to
>>> get the Unicode value?
>> I think if we can request iconv for the users who are interested
>> in non-Unicode or non-ASCII font name, the conversion is not so
>> difficult.
>
> Using iconv from the code seems like a bit of a huge hack to me

Umm, sorry, my poor English might have slipped to describe what
I thought.

At present, libiconv (or iconv() in libc) is not required function
for poppler. poppler cpp wrapper requires iconv(), but other part
does not use iconv() at all. If it is acceptable to use iconv()
in other parts, it would be easy to make a hook to translate
non-Unicode legacy CJK encoding to Unicode string. Do you think
using iconv() (in poppler, out of cpp wrapper) is too huge hack?

Regards,
mpsuzuki