[poppler] infinite running pdftops

Matt LaPlante mattl at google.com
Thu Feb 3 15:09:54 PST 2011

I occasionally run into cups servers in which pdftops will be running
seemingly forever against a single pdf.  Currently we're using 0.16.1.  I
would love to be able to provide one of the PDFs in question, but
unfortunately this is a business environment and most of the files are
confidential.  I'm hoping there is some other way we can work towards
debugging the situation.

I have one such pdf sitting in front of me now.  The pdftops -origpagesize
-level2 [pdf] just keeps churning and churning.  It produced a sizable .ps
file almost immediately, then it just stops writing data, even though the
process is still running.  The .ps file never appears to grow, even if left
for several more minutes.  This behavior hangs up cups something awful, but
I can also reproduce it manually.

I fired up the process in gdb, waited for a few minutes, and then stopped
the process.  Each time, the output was:

0x00007ffff7b3e254 in Splash::pipeRun (this=<value optimized out>,
pipe=0x7fffffffd350) at Splash.cc:402
402     Splash.cc: No such file or directory.
        in Splash.cc

0x00007ffff7b3e269 in Splash::pipeRun (this=<value optimized out>,
pipe=0x7fffffffd350) at Splash.cc:405
405     Splash.cc: No such file or directory.
        in Splash.cc

Splash::pipeRun (this=0x7872d0, pipe=0x7fffffffd350) at Splash.cc:399
399     Splash.cc: No such file or directory.
        in Splash.cc

Seems to be fairly consistently doing Splash:pipeRun.  I'm not familiar with
the source, and not sure if this is helpful or not, but I'd be glad to
gather other info upon request.

Thanks,
M@