[poppler] Wrong hinting

Cedric Sodhi manday at gmx.net
Mon Feb 14 01:47:21 PST 2011

Great! This is progressing quicker than I hoped. Thank you for your
research. Let me sum this up:

The font is embedded, so poppler does NOT use fontconfig to determine
whether to hint and/or antialias the font but instead uses the
information embedded to determine that.

The font is passed to FT, with, in this case, AA and Hinting enabled.

Freetype fails at rendering the font properly.

This looks pretty straightforward, great!

Any idea why it works for some people and doesn't for others? Can this
be solely a matter of FT configuration/compilation or are there perhaps
other side effects which I did not account for, like a specific setting
that makes poppler DISABLE Hinting on the embedded font (say)?

Cedric