[poppler] Plans to get Javascript support in Poppler.

jose.aliste at gmail.com jose.aliste at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 02:56:07 PDT 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth at adobe.com> wrote:
> Another API-related question you need to consider is how to handle "trigger events" (ISO 32000-1:2008, 12.6.3).  Is it a push or pull model? What "parameters" get passed in/out?

Could you explain what do you mean? I am not sure I understand the
questions... I haven't thought much about events yet, but the general
idea I have , at least from the point of view of Evince,  is that if
you have two objects, a FormField, which is the Javascript Object, and
a FormFieldWidget, which is a real widget in Gtk+. Then, in the
implementation, the FormFieldWidget will forward the signals/events he
receives (like focus-in,focus-out, keystrokes, etc.) to the FormField
object. Then the magic of Seed comes in, which translates the Gtk+
signals/Events into Javascript Events, so when you have AA
dictionaries, you just register the code inside each of the entries as
listener of the right Event on the formfield js object. I have no idea
how the JScore in Qt works, but I imagine that the idea there is not
that different...

Anyway, we are just starting to plan and implement the basic stuff we
need before implementing the bridget between poppler and js, which
will of course take us a long time :)

> I would also suggest that you consider supporting JS in Forms before other types, since that is (by a LARGE MARGIN) the most commonly found JavaScript.   There are lots of documents on the net that you can use to test.

Of course, Javascript forms have  the highest priority, since many of
the forms out-there are useless without Javascript support.

Greets

José