[poppler] Implementing overprint in Splash

Thomas Freitag Thomas.Freitag at kabelmail.de
Fri Mar 25 12:12:41 PDT 2011

On 25.03.2011 20:07, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dijous, 24 de març de 2011, Thomas Freitag va escriure:
>> On 24.03.2011 21:14, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
>>> A Dijous, 24 de març de 2011, Thomas Freitag va escriure:

>>> Why copy the functions?
>> There are "static inline" in the Gfx header files. I could include the
>> header file in Splash, but that means that we begin to mix splash and
>> poppler :-(
> There is copy in Splash using the error() function already, so it's nothing
> new :D
Ok. I don't like it, but it's up to You. I'll change it,

>>> Don't understand this.
>> -overprint option(!) simply renders in splashModeCMYK8 and during
>> writing it is converted to RGB, so the better option would probably be
>> to render it directly in splashModeRGB8. But overprint functionality(!)
>> is naturally only defined in a CMYK colorSpace, therefore we need
>> splashModeCMYK8 for the overprint functionality. But because overprint
>> (functionality) is not really implemented in splash with this patch, the
>> output should nearly the same (nearly, because without the option we
>> directly render in RGB, with the option we render in CMYK and convert
>> CMYK to RGB afterwards).
>> What I mean with zero state: I just run the create MD5 script with this
>> patch to have an initial MD5 value, assuming, that the output is correct
>> (because nothing is really changed in the underlying functions).
>> Tomorrow I'll run my roughly tested overprint patch against this and
>> examine, what pdf have changed. If these changes fit to specifications,
>> I'll upload the overprint patch to the community.
> So we add an option that does nothing (to the end user, that's it)? I'd prefer
> that not to happen.
Ok. I'll upload a complete patch when finishing. My laptop has still not
finished creating the differences (in rendering) with the complete
patch. Be happy then to find out the differences by Yourself :-)

(Sorry, I wasn't be able to stop myself :-) )

Thomas