[poppler] Drawing styledForm Widgets

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Oct 11 05:07:07 PDT 2011

A Dilluns, 10 d'octubre de 2011, jose.aliste at gmail.com vàreu escriure:
> Hi list,
>
> there is idea, why not adding some support to draw style form widgets
> to poppler. I know that poppler is already doing that when rendering,
> but the idea would be to have a method that given a form widget,
> either renders the contents of the widget for you with the correct
> style, or some sort of struct with all the style information of the
> corresponding constructed AP stream, so the frontends can use this
> information to mimic poppler's rendering to render the widgets
> themselves. In order for the first option to work, this rendering
> should not depend on reparsing otherwise it would too slow (Basically,
> I consider that we could construct the AP stream and then using this
> stream with some Gfx magic it should be possible to render the widgets
> value without reparsing and thus being fast enough to put this method
> in a widget-rendering callback)

As I understand what you want is apps no longer "embedding" "real" widgets on
top of the forms but the apps drawing the forms themselves based on info given
by poppler?

I am not sure this is going to be easy to do, since using "real" widgets gives
you lots of functionality for free (e.g: copy/paste, keyboard/mouse handling,
etc) and if we do what you say I understand we have to stop using "real"
widgets and do all this stuff in the final app which will be lots of work. Of
course that does not mean that we could still provide the option to have it
and not make it mandatory.

Or did I totally misunderstand what you meant?

Albert