[poppler] poppler and TeX Live -- request for a few modifications

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Oct 18 11:19:55 PDT 2011

A Dimarts, 18 d'octubre de 2011, Peter Breitenlohner vàreu escriure:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2011, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > Well, that is your choice, you can still link against a static poppler
> > build instead of embedding code the code in your repo.
>
> Hi Albert,
>
> yes we could. However, we prefer the repo to be as self consistent as
> possible.
>
> > Anyway:
> >
> > * patch-01-PDF_PARSER_ONLY
> > Applied, does not make much sense having PDF_PARSER_ONLY in poppler
>
> Thanks
>
> > * patch-10-exclude-body-of-Page_getDefaultCTM
> > Having PDF_PARSER_ONLY in poppler makes not much sense, so rejected
>
> The idea was to apply either this or the previous patch but not both.
>
> > * patch-04-mingw
> > Having PDF_PARSER_ONLY in poppler makes not much sense, so rejected.
> > Maybe you can actually fix the problem instead of workarounding it?
>
> Indeed.  All we need to do is adding '-lgdi32'.  That library is useless for
> our purposes but so what.
>
> > * patch-03-POPPLER_VERSION
> > Is this for when you use the embedded copy or for when you link against
> > the external lib?
>
> Actually for both. For xpdf there was xpdfVersion defined in xpdf/config.h,
> but you have decided to make the poppler version info available only via the
> c++ wrapper library and corresponding headers.

To be honest we do not want/like/encourage people using poppler core internals
so adding this would be a "breach" of those ideals. OTOH it is a small-ish
change and I remember some other people wanted it.

Anyone else has an opinion on this? Carlos? Pino? Adrian?

> Having POPPLER_VERSION (possibly under a different name) available in
> poppler-config.h would be helpful when not using libpoppler-cpp.
>
> > * patch-02-warnings
> > Which compiler/flags give you the need for this?
>
> The compiler is gcc-3.4.6.  When compiling poppler, your configure yields
>    CXXFLAGS = -Wall -Wno-write-strings -Woverloaded-virtual
> -Wnon-virtual-dtor \ -Wcast-align -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new
> -fno-common -O2 -ansi $(PTHREAD_CFLAGS) in the various Makefiles, resulting
> in these warnings:

These seem to be the same flags we use and I'm not getting those warnings with
gcc 4.6.1

> and many many more of the same kind.  Of course, gcc-3.4.6 is not exactly
> recent.  However, looking at your code there are many instances with
> explicit typecasts, and just a few without such casts causing these
> warnings.

Given that I use a noticeable newer gcc maybe this is actually a "gcc bug"?
Sincerely I would prefer avoiding adding casts.

Albert