[poppler] pdftoppm vs. pdftocairo

Thomas Freitag Thomas.Freitag at kabelmail.de
Mon Sep 19 03:28:45 PDT 2011

Am 19.09.2011 11:32, schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> A Dilluns, 19 de setembre de 2011, Thomas Freitag vàreu escriure:
>> Am 19.09.2011 11:01, schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
>>> A Dilluns, 19 de setembre de 2011, Denny Reeh vàreu escriure:

>>> They use different rendering backends (poppler-splash vs poppler-cairo)
>> That's obviously for me. The more interesting questions for me is (I was
>> suprised by pdftocairo, too):
>> 1. If I want to produce a png output,
>> a) which program produces the "correcter" output?
>> b) which program is faster?
>> Okay, nobody can probably answer this for all PDF. But are there any
>> experiences?
> It depends on the pdf you use.
>
>> 2. What is with futur bugs in png output? File them to splash or file
>> them to cairo?
> If happens in both pdftoppm and pdftocairo is probably something not render
> related so it's in the core, if happens only in one then it's obvious where
> the bug is ;-)
It's funny that you believe that if it happens in cairo and splash it is
a core problem. The higher probability in my opinion is that we have a
bug in splash AND cairo :-)

BTW, I just compiled it with actually versions of cairo and poppler from
git, and then tried pdftocairo with ducks.pdf: I must admit that I will
continue pdftoppm for the moment :-) (Of course also, because I know
more about splash than about cairo).

Thomas