[poppler] Proper Transparency Support in pdftops

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Thu Mar 22 15:23:57 PDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 23:18, William Bader <williambader at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Recent versions of pdftops have a -r option to set the rasterization
> resolution.
> Increasing the resolution can create large files, but you can match the
> resolution to the printer so no detail is lost.
> The default of 300 is good for viewing on-screen but a little low for
> printing.

I did see the resolution flag. While this does mitigate things to some
extent, many PostScript printers benefit wildly from being sent vector
instructions, especially for text.

> Another option is writing a comment so pdftops always creates a valid
> file, but applications can check for the comment and optionally process the
> pdf through another application.

The issue is that rasterization is slow. I'd like to know *early* if it's
going to be rasterized. Some PDFs can be close to a gigabyte, and having to
run two passes can be rather intense.