[poppler] Annotation interoperability

Adam Reichold adamreichold at myopera.com
Fri Oct 5 11:42:36 PDT 2012

Hello,

On 05.10.2012 20:17, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dijous, 4 d'octubre de 2012, a les 08:11:16, Adam Reichold va
> escriure: Hello,

> I think, at least for me, changing #2 would break application
> behaviour: I currently try to avoid the problem by cropping the
> boundary selected by the user to 24x24 at 72dpi and transform it in
> the same way as the page itself so that it matches the icon size.
> (Which I thought was implied by giving it in normalized
> coordinates.)
>
> If Poppler decides to (not) scale it like acroread, the effective
> boundary at any scale factor and hence the transformation to be
> applied would become different and also specific to fixed-size
> icon-like annotations.
>
> Not that is isn't possible, it would just introduce new behaviour
> and hence necessarily new code on the application level.
>
>> Sure, but the thing is, if the current behaviour is wrong, it has
>> to be fixed and apps adapted, we can't live forever with
>> workarounds in the wrong place.

Yes, I agree. As I understand it, the way I currently do it may be
correct for the implementation but not for the standard. So the
implementation has to change and hence my application's dependent
behaviour.

It would be nice if Poppler's behaviour changed only at some
well-defined point in time like the release of version 0.22.

So I'll probably start to respect the FixedSize and FixedRotation
flags beginning with Poppler 0.22? (Meaning text annotations will
really be 24px times 24px from the top left corner of the boundary no
matter what resolution I pass to Poppler::Page::renderToImage?)

Best regards, Adam.