[poppler] Implement overprint in qt interface?

Thomas Freitag Thomas.Freitag at kabelmail.de
Mon Oct 15 01:11:44 PDT 2012

Am 15.10.2012 07:26, schrieb Adam Reichold:
> Hello,
>
> On 14.10.2012 19:50, Thomas Freitag wrote:
>> On 14.10.2012 17:23, Adam Reichold wrote:
>> Hello Thomas,
>>
>> Thanks for the offer. As I understand it, this simulates how the
>> actual physical layers of colour would mix in real printing? It does
>> sound like a sensible feature to me.
>>> No, that's not true. Overprint is a feature already introduced in
>>> PostScript and is also defined in the PDF spec, see i.e. chapter 8.6.7
>>> as an introduction. But there are only a very few free available viewer
>>> which implements it. Beside acrobat reader (and of course poppler :-) )
>>> I only know ghostscript which implements it. And even in ghostscript it
>>> is not well known because overprint works only in subtractive
>>> colorspaces like CMYK, so You have to render in a CMYK-like colorspace
>>> and then convert the result to RGB to see it on the monitor. And this is
>>> what the just uploaded patch does.
> I am not sure I understand how this explanation conflicts with "sensible
> feature" as in "it makes sense to have this feature". May be a
> misunderstanding? Or do you refer to that it does not simulate the
> interaction of physical layers of colour?
Sorry, it was my poor English and a typical misunderstanding for a
German: "sensible" sounds like "sensibel" which translation is
"sensitive" in English, But I still think that "simulate" is the wrong
explanation, because the use of overprint influences or change the
interaction of physical layers of colour.

No harm meant,
Thomas