[poppler] Anything wrong in git?

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Tue Feb 12 21:29:07 PST 2013

>> It is in refs, so it is a branch.  On annarchy:
>> :; cd /git/poppler/poppler.git/
>> :; git branch -a
>>

AAC> Not sure I follow, of course origin/master is a branch it's our master branch,
AAC> i'm not asking that, i'm asking what the "origin/master" gray box in
AAC> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/poppler/poppler/log/ is

AAC> Because the "real" origin/master branch is represented by the
AAC> "master" green box, so what is the "origin/master" grey one?

Both are branches.  The remotes/origin/master on annarchy is not in any
way related to the remotes/origin/master branch on any clone thereof.

Normally, on a "root" repo like the ones on git.fd.o, there wouldn't
be a remotes tree.  Some might say shouldn't.  For instance, the
poppler-data.git repo does not have refs/remotes.

I'm not in the poppler group, so cannot fix it, but if you log in to
annarchy and run:

    :; rm -frv /git/poppler/poppler.git/refs/remotes

and then:

    :; $EDITOR /git/poppler/poppler.git/packed-refs

and remove every line with /remotes/ in it, you will have fixed it.

While there you also might want to do another:

   :; git gc --aggressive; git update-server-info

in each of the /git/poppler/*.git directories.

It probably is a good idea to do that after doing any other maintenance.

-JimC