[poppler] Help with first time compiling

Ronald Bradford ronald.bradford at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 13:02:25 PST 2013

Hi List,

I am a user of pdftotext and pdfimages on Ubuntu 12.04 and I noticed the
repo distro version was 0.18.
Seeing you are at 0.24 I thought I should check it out for any improvements.
My goal is only to use the utils, but I assume I need to compile the full
codebase.

I am getting the following configure warnings and would like some
assistance.

checking for CAIRO... no
./configure: line 21111: test: too many arguments
checking for gtkdoc-check... no
checking for gtkdoc-rebase... no
checking for gtkdoc-mkpdf... no
checking whether to build gtk-doc documentation... no
checking for POPPLER_QT4... no
./configure: line 22517: syntax error near unexpected token `iconv'
./configure: line 22517: `      AC_LIB_LINKFLAGS_BODY(iconv)'

I'm guessing (not being a configure guru, these two errors should not be.)

If I need cairo (which is a heavy package), what specific packages are the
minimum needed, e.. just libcairo2-dev?
Any help on also getting a clean configure past the later error to run make
would be appreciated.

My steps to reproduce are :

git clone git://git.freedesktop.org/git/poppler/poppler
cd poppler
sudo apt-get install automake libtool libfontconfig1-dev libjpeg-dev
./autogen.sh

Thanks

Ronald