[poppler] Bad interaction between libgs, lcms2 and poppler

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Jan 13 13:07:07 PST 2014

Hi, I am writing this because I just discovered a bad interaction between
libgs, lcms2 and poppler.

Let me describe the situation first:
 * User is using Okular[1] to view documents
 * User opens a PS file. Okular loads a plugin that uses libgs to open the
file
 * libgs calls cmsPluginTHR to set its own memory handler
 * User closes PS file. Okular unloads the plugin that uses libgs
 * User opens a PDF file. Okular loads a plugin that uses poppler to open the
file
 * poppler uses lcms calls and since cmsPluginTHR was set by libgs but never
reset when the libgs plugin was destroyed, lcms crashes

The only solution I can think of from my side is never unloading the plugin
that uses libgs, but I'd like not to get there.

I looked at lcms code and doesn't seem to be a way for libgs to unload it's
plugin (there seems to be a unloadAll, but that would not be a good idea
either).

Do you think it makes sense for lcms to provide such a functionality?

Or anyone has a better idea?

[1] http://okular.kde.org/