[Portland] Project Portland, RuDI and the Generic desktop adapter

nf2 nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Fri Dec 9 04:35:23 EET 2005

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

>that said, your approach does require AFAICS unifying the event loops. which
>cuts out any and all apps that aren't written to those toolkits that adopt
>that event loop. this means for most apps that the authors will have to port
>to a newer version of their toolkit before taking advantage of such an
>approach which in turn often has a fairly significant cost for them.

Qt3, Gtk+ 2.0 and Xt. I would assume they could all be ported to a
shared main loop without breaking API's.

>the IPC approach also works better with apps being run remotely on a different
>machine than the desktop is, but that's perhaps a corner case these days.
>
>as for ABI stability, saying that it isn't a problem because we already link
>to .so's is like saying that complaining about the flu is silly because
>you've had flus in the past. the idea is to avoid past problems, not find
>creative new ways to repeat them. ISVs are highly allergic to ABI stability
>issues, which is why many use as FEW libs as possible, statically link when
>possible and often even ship their own versions of the .so/dll when that
>fails.

I just said that because i thought problems should be fixed at the
lowest possible layer. Bypassing them with daemons and IPC looks a bit
like an overkill and should only be the last choice.

Cheers,

Norbert