[Portland] Project Portland, RuDI and the Generic desktop adapter

nf2 nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Fri Dec 9 15:05:55 EET 2005

Lars Knoll wrote:

>The other problem is interoperability between different major versions of the
>same library (Qt3 vs Qt4, Gtk2 vs a future Gtk3). These usually define
>similar sets of symbols which could lead to larger problems when loading them
>into the same address space.

Good point. But is this really true?

Let's say application A links to two libraries (lib1 and lib2 which in
the background link to Qt3 and Qt4).

A->lib1->Qt3
A->lib2->Qt4

I would think that the symbols would never conflict unless A includes
the header files from Qt3 and Qt4 at the same time and links them directly.

But i just don't know...

I think that's very interesting, also for other projects like cross
desktop components...

Cheers,

Norbert