[Portland] ZDNet: "Portland looks to unite Linux GUIs"

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Apr 5 23:20:11 EEST 2006

On Tuesday 04 April 2006 20:04, Dan Kegel wrote:
> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39261429,00.htm
>
> "Portland looks to unite Linux GUIs
> LinuxWorld: OSDL coders are looking to solve one of Linux's
> greatest problems for developers: the battle between GNOME and KDE
> The Open Source Developer Labs is previewing work that
> attempts to make life easier for software companies by
> bridging GNOME and KDE, the two competing graphical
> interfaces most widely used with Linux.
> ..."
>
> The leadin makes it sound like we're really trying to unify gnome and kde.
> I hope people don't get confused about what we're trying to do here.

The misunderstanding seems to be rooted in the misconception that the new API
is a wrapper of the toolkits while it is actually an additional thing.

Maybe that's because of the menitioning of "graphical interfaces"
and "dialogs", etc.
It creates the impression that it is a GUI library of some kind

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>