[Portland] xdg-util feedback

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Apr 6 14:00:47 EEST 2006

On Thursday 06 April 2006 11:10, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> In the event that the current desktop environment isn't detectable what do
> you thing of falling back to firefox, mozilla, and then netscape?  This
> should be able to catch a lot of cases especially on older systems.  This
> would also work for xdg-open sense netscape has its own mime system to open
> files that are not for the web browser.

When you write "also work for xdg-open" which other script do you have in mind
that could use this as the generic fallback case?

> Also you can detect if CDE is running with something like this:
> xprop -root | grep DTWM_IS_RUNNING
>
> Also when opening a file in KDE you want to use kfmclient exec and when
> opening a URL you want to use kfmclient openURL.  This is for cases such as
> a pdf file where you want the web browser to open it or any mime type that
> the browser isn't the primary (say if html was assigned to a editor and not
> konq).

I am not sure about this.
When I do kfmclient exec ftp://somehost/someimage.png I get it opened in
kuickshow if I do kfmclient openURL ftp://somehost/someimage.png I get it
opened embedded in Konqueror running in filemanager mode.

When I click an URL to an image in KMail I get the first behavior, so for
consistency I'd rather have the kfmclient exec behavior in xdg-open's KDE
path

Cheers,
Kevin

--