[Portland] xdg-utils proof of concept

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Apr 25 00:57:27 EEST 2006

On Monday 24 April 2006 23:39, Jeremy White wrote:
> > What do you think of this approach?  The attached patch adds a 'make
> > test' target to the makefile system, and I stubbed out a couple simple
> > tests for two of the commands.  If this approach looks ok, I can go
> > ahead and flesh these tests further and add tests for the other
> > commands.  It's nothing fancy, but may be sufficient for just getting
> > some limited testing in place.  I'm not sure about stuff that requires
> > user interaction, though, but imagine there are ways to automate even
> > that...
> >
> > Anyway, if this patch looks ok I can commit it.
>
> Hey Bryce,
>
> I was toying with the idea of working up my new third party
> software - WinBig (TM) - entirely as an exercise in testing
> xdg-utils.
>
> My thought was to have a process that was fairly heavy on user
> interaction, as that struck me as necessary.  (e.g. Did the menu
> show up?  Did the right app open blat.mime?)
>
> But then I recalled that you'd started down that road, and
> I didn't want to duplicate effort.  I took a quick glance,
> and didn't see 'make test' in the current tip; have you had any further
> thoughts with this?

It hasn't been committed yet.

Anyway, I like the idea of a test target for the Makefile, especially since we
now have a fixed set of standard return values.
A little bit like unit testing for the scripts.

I had a quick look at Bryce's original patch and it looks good. Not sure if it
can still be applied after all the recent changes, but if it can or Bryce has
enough time to update it, I'd say commit it!

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>