[Portland] Wherefrom to begin ?

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Thu Aug 3 13:46:15 PDT 2006

Hi Sankarshan,

Yes, volunteers are very welcome, you're hired :-)

I guess the wiki can indeed use some better organization. Let me try to
give you a quick run down on the important bits: Portland basically aims
to provide a common API for desktop integration tasks. An overview of
the tasks we are looking at can be found on:
http://portland.freedesktop.org/wiki/IntegrationTasks

We use two different approaches to deliver APIs for such tasks. The
short term approach, which I will refer to as Portland 1.0, is based on
a set of command line tools called xdg-utils. You can find a description
of xdg-utils here:
http://portland.freedesktop.org/xdg-utils-1.0beta2/
And you can download the actual tools themselves from here:
http://portland.freedesktop.org/download/xdg-utils-1.0beta2.tgz

The longer term approach, aka Portland 2.0, focuses on a service
oriented architecture where we want to define common desktop interfaces
(services) which can then be implemented by different backends (service
providers) on different desktops. That work hasn't received too much
attention as of yet, but a technology preview is available to give you
some idea:
http://portland.freedesktop.org/download/dapi-TP.tgz

If you want to improve the wiki feel free to, you can create an account
of your own and after a confirmation of your e-mail address you can
start making changes. The wiki has links to bugzilla and CVS as well,
with hopefully clear enough instructions. If anything is unclear, please
ask on the list.

Waldo Bastian
Linux Client Architect - Client Linux Foundation Technology
Channel Platform Solutions Group
Intel Corporation - http://www.intel.com/go/linux
OSDL DTL Tech Board Chairman