[Portland] Issues with 1.0beta2 and KDE

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Aug 7 07:12:25 PDT 2006

On Thursday 03 August 2006 22:01, Bastian, Waldo wrote:
> >[Čt srp  3 15:42:45 CEST 2006] test_plain_file_install: verify  is
> >installed
> >correctly on the desktop: FAIL
> >Did not find 'xdgtestdata-08-03+7.txt' in '/home/llunak/Desktop'
> >Test has already failed. Not bothering to ask 'Is there an icon on the
> >desktop with name 'xdgtestdata-08-03+7.txt'?'
> >
> > The reason is simple, my desktop is not /home/llunak/Desktop,
> >it's /home/llunak/.kde/Desktop - this is configurable in KDE
> >(kcontrol->System Administration->Paths) and I don't like polluted ~/.
> >
> > The attached xdg-desktop-icon patch makes it read the proper config
> > value, but it doesn't really work since it needs detection of the desktop
> > which may not be running at the install time (so the patch is not ok).
> > Also, I'm not sure it should just work that way - perhaps it should first
> > try to install to $HOME/Desktop and if KDE is also installed and the
> > desktop path is different then try to install in this path as well?
>
> That sounds like a usable heuristic.

 I see you were faster than me :).

> >- The installed menu entries cause startup feedback. I see that's been
> >already fixed in CVS, I've just changed it to generic StartupNotify=
> >without X-KDE- prefix.
>
> Gnome didn't show notifications in the first place, seems they use a
> different default.

 GNOME's default is not showing launch feedback at all. KDE's default is
showing launch feedback with legacy support (i.e. it doesn't depend on the
app cooperating, it ends when a first matching window shows up - the usual
case when launching applications). Apps should generally explicitly specify
StartupNotify= , especially if they are not the usual case.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org