[Portland] DESTDIR support for xdg-utils

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Tue Aug 22 10:15:54 PDT 2006

>The problem with xdg-utils is that it does not have the
>--user|--system setting

Current versions have --mode user|system and default to something sane
based on the UID of the caller. Does that help you?

>and it does not allow to specify a DESTDIR.
>Also it does not allow to omit update-mime-database
>
>What I propose is to care for the DESTDIR env var. And install in
>system ($DESTDIR/usr/share..) when it is non-empty as well as omit
>update-mime.
>
>Does that make sense - would you want me to make a patch for it?

I'm not sure. It seems that you are trying to run a post-install hook as
part of the package building process. I'm not sure I understand why you
want to do that. If you run this part truly post-installation you will
not run into these problems. Doesn't gentoo provide facilities for that?

Cheers,
Waldo