[Portland] PortlandVFSProposal

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Sun Jan 8 14:49:47 EET 2006

Am Sonntag, 8. Januar 2006 10:18 schrieb nf2:

> > Actually, FUSE performance is quite OK, and
> >common-vfs will be also slower than in-kernel filesystems.
>
> Why?

Fuse runs in userland. So there are extra context switches.

In addition the main problems I see with FUSE are:

1. it aims for total transparency hiding important differences in
functionality and semantics (e.g. locking, memory mapping, writing order)

2. FUSE often needs a recompile if the kernel is updated

3. FUSE is not generic enough for an efficient implementation of stuff like
imap4, pop3 and SMTP.

Regards,
-- martin

--