[Portland] PortlandVFSProposal

nf2 nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Mon Jan 9 22:00:26 EET 2006

Martin Konold wrote:

>Am Samstag, 7. Januar 2006 21:46 schrieb nf2:
>

>>majority of the PortlandIntegrationTasks could also be solved with
>>common infrastructure.
>>

>The problem with common infrastructure is that it really slows down innovation
>significantly.

Depends. Look how similar KIO and Gnome-VFS are. Having competing VFS
libraries is like having different motorways for red and for green cars.
It's inefficient and slows down innovation and competition on a higher
level: Nobody buys cars because they don't know which color. Reminds me
of the linux/unix desktop. ;-)

>>cases like "there is no VFS library installed". Because of the
>>late-binding. It's a wild mix of layers, the most abstruse example is
>>probably this out-of process popping up filedialogs.
>>

>What is the assumed disadvantage of an out-of-process file dialog?

It's like repainting you car at every crossing... Might be a bit
limiting. You can't design custom filedialogs or have embedded
filemanagers like in K3B etc...

Cheers,
Norbert