[Portland] PortlandVFSProposal

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Jan 10 17:08:33 EET 2006

On Monday 09 January 2006 21:00, nf2 wrote:
> Martin Konold wrote:
> >Am Samstag, 7. Januar 2006 21:46 schrieb nf2:
> >>cases like "there is no VFS library installed". Because of the
> >>late-binding. It's a wild mix of layers, the most abstruse example is
> >>probably this out-of process popping up filedialogs.
> >
> >What is the assumed disadvantage of an out-of-process file dialog?
>
> It's like repainting you car at every crossing...

 Sure ... if you happen to come close to a crossing every couple of years.
Just like one needs a filedialog only a few times an hour.

> Might be a bit limiting.

 Of course, everything may be a bit limiting. It's just if you are able to
live with the limitations. File dialogs are not exactly rocket science.

> You can't design custom filedialogs or have embedded
> filemanagers like in K3B etc...

 You can. I already posted a screenshot of Qt-only app (Scribus) using a KDE
file dialog to this list once. Out-of-process file dialog. With customized
widgets. Without modifying Scribus in any way.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org