[Portland] /opt setup

George Kraft gk4 at swbell.net
Tue Jul 18 06:35:39 PDT 2006

James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj at acm.org> wrote:
With all these links, is there really any point in installing an
application in: "/opt/"?  I suppose so, but I can't help but wonder.
Here is the original FHS rationale.

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-3.12.html

What do you do if three different vendors want to install Java?  The /opt/vendor/product/ resolves that.  What do you do if you want to install multiple versions of the same product?  What do you do if you want to install both ppc32 and ppc64?   The /opt/ isolates the vendor so they only polute their namespace subdirectory.  :-)

http://lsbbook.gforge.freestandards.org/pack-adv.html

In short, /opt/ is to protect /usr/ from insane 3rd party packages.

George (gk4)