[Portland] xdg_vfs_gnome command line client

nf2 nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Thu Jun 1 04:24:44 PDT 2006

Kevin Krammer wrote:

> I would like to ask Norbert if he could check the possibility of contributing
> a GNOME implementation of the DAPI daemon side and maybe put the commandline
> client somewhere GNOME distributors are known to look for addons.
> The KDE client could go into KDE extragear.

Hmm. Maybe later this year. Haven't got lots of time at the moment. Also
i have the impression that there are some open questions regarding dapi:
Will it move to dbus and how? Will it use dbus through the dbus-daemon -
which would make streaming file-data quite hard - or will there be an
extra socket using the dbus protocol (point to point)...

You know that i have created my own socket protocol for an async
"job-based" communication model (vio-trans and dapii) which would be
necessary for real vfs access, but got stuck somewhere in the middle
(lack of time)...

That's why i wrote the xdg-vfs tools, which probably cover 90% of the
use-cases with minimal complexity and fit into the xdg-utils concept.

cheers,
Norbert