[Portland] D-BUS replaces dcop!

Carlos.Guerreiro at nokia.com Carlos.Guerreiro at nokia.com
Fri Jun 2 00:55:05 PDT 2006

> thiago wrote in http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2058 :
>
> >With
> >http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdelibs/?rev=546830&view=rev
> >KDE says good-bye ... to DCOP.  ... and hello to D-BUS ...
> >http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdelibs/?rev=546826&view=rev
> >
> >I also hope the Portland Project to come around and use D-BUS for its
> IPC needs, thus >freeing us from using a special library with its own
> protocol to do what D-BUS already does.

So do I. The last thing we need is yet another IPC protocol or library.
We use D-BUS extensively in Maemo and the Nokia 770 for "Desktop" integration:
- As a basis for the Telepathy IM/VOIP Integration Framework and Galago
- As an IPC backend for libebook/e-d-s, gnome-vfs and gconf, replacing Bonobo/CORBA
- For device state management
And a number of other things

We'll use it more and more as a mechanism for exposing system-wide services.

As everybody else, we're looking forward to API stability in D-BUS and there
have been glitches here and there, but by and large D-BUS does the job.
And it is hugely valuable to have a common cross-desktop mechanism.
No roll-your-own IPC please.

Carlos