[Portland] command line interface inconsistancies

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Mon Jun 5 16:38:43 PDT 2006

>Am Montag, 5. Juni 2006 18:30 schrieb Whipple, Tom:
>
>> I suggest that as in #1, required arguments have no dashes. As in #3
>> options with long names (eg --vendor) have two dashes. I would also
>> suggest that commonly used options have "shortcuts" (eg -h ==
--help),
>> where it makes sense.
>
>What about using the GNU/POSIX convention?

Well yes, but it doesn't really address the issue: why does
xdg-screensaver use "suspend" and not "--suspend" and why does xdg-menu
use "--user" and not "user" ?. Wrt GNU/POSIX: It's a bit awkward to
support -ofoo, -o=foo, and -abc from a script. Wouldn't hurt to support
"--" in xdg-copy though.

Cheers,
Waldo